CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HANDS FULL NOW HEARTS FULL LATER

I loved Katie's post the other day about mothers. I agree with Katie that one it is the most important and sacred job that you can do to be a mother. And two it is the most challenging job that you can do and Satan does want to discourage us. The rewards don't come in the form of a pay check but I can't think of anything that has greater blessings. This is important to remember when you have those crazy mommy moments during the day. We had regional conference on Sunday and Boyd K. Packer gave a great talk. He said that his wife always had her hands full at church by herself while he was traveling on church callings and a widow in the ward said to her, "it looks like you have your hands full." Sister Packer said, "yes I do." Then the widow said, "hands full now heart full later." Isn't that a great thought to think about. These sweet kids and their kids (our posterity) will be the source of our greatest joy and blessings. I just want to thank my mom, my grandmas and all of my friends for the women they are and for their sweet examples. I learn from all of you on a daily basis. Isn't it nice to have other women to share you daily triumphs and failures. Like Katie said I know too that I am a work in progress and I have a long way to go. But we are truely blessed to be mothers and learn unconditional love and patience. I just read this poem and I love it. This is good for all of us to remember....

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'dfinger paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off the watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.

Dian Lommas, from "If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again."

5 comments:

Gail said...

Oh I am using that line the next time I am out somewhere and someone says that to me. They always say it in a way that seems like they are glad that they are not you, but I love how that puts a positive spin on it. I love that poem. I think Oprah always says that life is what happens while you are busy trying to make plans. Great advice!

Suzi said...

That was great to read, i agree! You really are a great mom and an amazing example to me.

jen said...

Love the poem. I need to have that one hanging on my fridge. Yesterday I stopped cleaning and I took my boys to the park and even went down slides with them. I was able to get lots done when we got home because they had their mommy time and they were just calmer and happier. I also had fun just enjoying them! You are an awesome friend and mom. Thanks for the post.

Haskins said...

I love that poem!! I would like to put that up somewhere in my home to remind me everyday!! I love your thoughts they are so great!!
Love you
ang

The Bullocks said...

I always love your posts. your such a sweet heart. and I love the title hands full now hearts full later.
that was such a good poem. and sooo true. Thanks for the thought.