CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

PRESIDENT HINCKLEY AND GOOD, BETTER, BEST

Passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley
Beloved Church President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through 12 years of global expansion, has died at the age of 97. President Hinckley was the 15th president in the 177-year history of the Church and had served as its president since March 12, 1995.


I am so sad that President Hinckley is gone. Although I am so happy that he is with his wife again. It is hard to imagine not hearing him speak again. He was an amazing prophet and I feel so blessed to have been alive when he was the prophet of the church. I loved how much he respected women and encouraged husbands to repect their wives and let them develop their talents. I loved how he had a love for people of all religions and of all nations. His thoughts and quotes are some of the most profound thoughts in my mind at all times and will forever be with me throughout my life. When I think of President Hinckley or hear him speak the spirit touches me and I always without fail have the desire to be a better person, daughter, mother, and member of the church.

When Brynlee heard that President Hinckley had passed away she said, "mom I don't ever want Grandma and Grandpa Black to pass away I will be so sad." Brynlee loves every Sunday because they come over to dinner and jumps at any chance to go over to their house and spend time with them. In Relief Society today we had a lesson on good, better, best things that we fill our lives with. This really got me thinking today that I need to fill my life with the best things. I need to make studying the scriptures, going to the temple and visiting with my grandparents a priority into my weekly schedule. These are the best things that I can fill my time with and need to do better at. For the last year I have gone to the temple twice a month until the last two months. I have missed it the last two months and I need to get back in that habit. My grandparents are the neatest people I know and I need to make visiting them at least once or twice a week a priority. I know this is one of the best things I can fill my time with. I love their company and I am always learning from their loving, calm, sweet dispositions. They adore the kids and love any second they get with them. I will regret not spending more time with them if anything happended to them. I went to our Stake Women's conference on Saturday and Virginia Pierce Priesident Hinckley's daughter spoke about studying the scriptures. I know this is something I need to do better at. I am struggling with some answers that I need right now from Heavenly Father and I know that the best way to get the answers is through scripture study. I once heard Sheri Dew say that, "if you want to talk to God you pray. If you want Heavenly Father to talk to you, you read the scriptures." So this is what my goals are to put the best things in my life. And fill my time with the best and most important things in life. I love you all and I challenge you to think about what the "best" things are that you can use to fill your time!!

8 comments:

The Bullocks said...

hey, I just wanted to tell you that I think you are such a good person. I just love how you are always trying to become a better person. and your always thinking of others. Thanks for the good example, and thanks for the good post.

jen said...

President Hinckley dieing has really made us all think more about being better. I bet that church attendance will be at its highest next week. He makes everyone want to be better. Thanks for your post. Very inspiring about better, best.

Suzi said...

Great challenge and such good post! I need to do more as well to be the best i can be! thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts!

jenjamin said...

Great tribute! Yes so sad but happy too... he is an amazing person and am so grateful to have been in his sphere of influence. This truely is an amazing gospel!

Haskins said...

I love reading your post!! They are always so inspiring! I am glad you got a girls night out! That looks like so much fun! Love ya

Scott and Beth said...

Trista, I randomly found your blog...you have such a beautiful family. Tell Brynley hello for me!!! Bethany

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder...I really needed that. Sometimes life just takes over and we forget to make time for the really important things in life. Hope you and your kids are feeling better. Love ya!

Mikesell Family said...

I love your blog! I am so glad you always post things that remind me to try harder in life! You are such a great person! I want to be more like you.
Love ya!
Betsy